You are here

I Won. Now What?

I Won. Now What?


Start by working with the person that owes you to see if you can reach a payment agreement. Try to negotiate with them or write a short letter to them asking for payment. Remind them of the total amount due, including “court costs” and “interest”.

Feel free to suggest a payment plan.  Remember to ask for a response to your letter in a reasonable time (10-14 days, for example).

If the person who owes you does not have enough money or property to pay, remember that your judgment is valid for at least five years. Even if it you cannot collect your money now, you may be able to collect it later.

If the person who owes you money does not agree, or ignores your letter, you can use other methods to get your money.

What are my collection options? 

If the person who owes you money will not voluntarily pay you, you can use the methods described in this section to have the court obtain their income to pay the judgment. You may need to use more than one of the methods below to get your money. You can also learn more about collection options from the Ohio State Bar Association.

What do I do once I have collected all the judgment money? 

Once you have collected all of the money that is owed to you, you must file a Satisfaction of Judgment Form with the Clerk of Court to show that the judgment has been paid. There is no fee to file the form.

What property is exempt from collections?

Every person who is domiciled in this state may hold property exempt from execution, garnishment, attachment, or sale to satisfy a judgment or order . There are a number of property exemptions that may apply to collections, depending on the circumstances of the case. Learn more about exempt property. It may be worthwhile to consult with a lawyer to determine if the property you seek to garnish is exempt or not.

Virtual Assistant

Collecting on Judgment