MAGISTRATE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Judge Nicastro created the Magistrate Internship Program by Court Order in May 2021. The purpose of the Magistrate Internship Program is to
- Provide a diverse judiciary for the Court which is reflective of the Court’s diverse constituency.
- Expand the opportunities for attorneys of diverse backgrounds, education, and experience to participate in the judiciary.
- Educate and train attorneys interested in joining the judiciary as future judges and full-time magistrates.
Qualifications The minimum qualifications for the applicants are:
- Be engaged in the active practice of law in Ohio for a minimum of four years and be in good standing with the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Be proficient with Zoom.us remote hearing technology and on-line filing procedures at www.ghmc.org.
- Be able to comply with the Ohio Code of Judicial Conduct without conflicts.
- Be punctual for all hearings and be able to meet all court deadlines.
- Be competent in the areas of law for the types of cases to which the intern is assigned.
Requirements Participants in the Program shall
- Serve for two (2) years without monetary compensation or public employment benefits as volunteers.
- Be registered by the Presiding Judge as magistrates with the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Be trained by the Presiding Judge and Chief Magistrate in Court philosophy, procedure, and relevant law.
- Join the Ohio Association of Magistrates (”OAM”) with dues being paid by the Court.
- Serve at the discretion of the Presiding Judge who may terminate or modify service at any time.
- Comply with all requirements of the Ohio Supreme Court, which may be modified from time to time but are currently as follows:
- Register annually with the Supreme Court.
- Complete 40 hours of continuing legal education, including 10 hours of instruction through courses offered by the Ohio Judicial College, every two years.
- Must complete the New Magistrate’s Orientation Program through the Ohio Judicial College.
- Participate in a one-year mentoring program as part of the Orientation Program.
- Complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the Ohio Board of Professional Conduct.
- Comply with the Ohio Code of Judicial Conduct.
Apply Submit the Application to firstname.lastname@example.org and Reference Magistrate Internship.