You are here

Bank Account Attachment

If you know that the person who owes you money (commonly known as the "judgment debtor" or the "defendant") has a checking or savings account, you can ask the court to use the money in the account to pay your judgment.  The Garfield Heights Municipal Court can attach accounts from any bank in Ohio. 

Follow these steps to collect your judgment through a bank account attachment:

  1. Learn about the banking practices of the judgment debtor.
  • Try to find the name of the judgment debor's  bank, the address of the bank, and the account number of the judgment debtor.
  • If the judgment debtor gave you a check, try to remember the name of the bank.  If you have ever given the judgment creditor a check, request a copy of the check from your bank and look at the back to see if their bank account information is printed on it. 
  • You may be able to get the name of the judgment debtor's bank through an examination in aide of execution of judgment (commonly known as a "debtor's exam).
  1. Complete the Ohio "Other Than Wage" (OTW) Garnishment Packet

Get an OTW Garnishment Packet from this site below, from  Clerk of Court or any legal blank company and fill it out. The OTW Garnishment Packet includes:

  1.  File the "Other Than Wage" Garnishment Packet with the Clerk of Court

You must pay the following filing fees:

  • A check or money order for $1.00 made payable to the bank (also known as the Garnishee) of the judgment debtor.
  • A filing fee of $60.00. The Clerk accepts cash, credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) or check made payable to “Garfield Heights Municipal Court.”

If the “Other Than Wage” Attachment is successful, when will I get my money? 

If the attachment is successful, the bank will send your money to the Clerk of Court in about 30 days.  The judgment debtor may request a hearing to review the garnishment.  If a hearing is requested, everyone involved will be notified of the location, date, and time of the hearing. 

You may check this website at "Docket" to check the status of your garnishment.  You can file again if you do not receive all of the money from the first garnishment.